Puja or prayer room is a cosmic antenna that is full of positive energies and vibes that no matter what mental or emotional state one is in, entering this space refreshes your energy and connects you with positive energy. The ritual of Puja is not just a ritual to appease gods but an initiation into the spiritual path that ultimately leads to inner form of contemplation and spiritual evolution. It can also be used as a place for meditation. Therefore it is important to build this space of Puja Room in such a way that helps you meditate as well as connect you to your inner source.
According to Vastu Shastra, the best direction in the house to build Puja Room is northeast followed by east and north directions. Northeast receives the most beneficial energies of Sun therefore, it is full of Satwik Tatva or pure essence (positive vibrations).
As a corollary, if north-east of the house is not available for the Puja Room, the place for Puja can be made in an available room in the northeast corner of the room. Avoid having the Puja Ghar in the Bedroom.
While doing Puja or meditation, one should face east or north direction. Avoid placing idols on the south wall.
The room should be well ventilated with plenty of natural light and air. So Large Windows can be provided in the north and east direction. If the room does not have the arrangement for proper natural light, as an alternative, there should be good sources of Artificial Light here.
The Agnikund should be in the southeast direction of the worship room. The sacred offerings to the fire should be made with the face towards the east
Colour of the walls of the Puja Room should preferably be white, light yellow or light blue. Marble, if used, should always be white.
1. The base level of Puja Ghar should be at least 6 inches above the floor so that the idols are above the navel when you are praying depending on the position, whether standing or sitting.
2. Nothing should be stored above the cabinet or Puja Ghar.
3. The idols of deities in the home should not be bigger than the span of the hand from the tip of the little finger to the tip of the thumb of the head of the family. Any idol bigger than this is inauspicious for homes.
4. The idols should be at least 2 inches away from the wall.
5. Never keep too many idols. Duplicates of idols should be donated in the best manner. Crowded Mandir is equal to cluttered space that does not harbor positive energies.
6. Materials used for construction of idols should also be kept in mind. Best materials are stone, wood, gold, silver and precious stone. Other materials that can be used are clay, bronze and brass.
7. Keep the Puja Room and the place of idols clean and uncluttered. The space below the Puja Ghar can be used to store items like incense sticks, kumkum etc. Alternatively, south and west directions can be used for Storage.
8. Have a threshold around the Puja Room so that the space is defined. The roof of the Puja Room can be in the shape of pyramid as this is a very auspicious shape and it is well known that the energies under the pyramid are extremely positive that assist in spiritual opening and meditation.
Some Things to Avoid
1. Puja Room should not share a wall with toilet or Bathroom
2. Avoid broken or chipped idols in the Puja Ghar
3. Don’t sit bare on the floor while doing prayer or meditation.
4. Don’t have photos of dead people along with the idols.
5. Idols should not be exactly in front of the Entrance.
6. Unless worshipped every day, avoid keeping srichakra, saligram and idols of ancient temples in the house.
Look at more stories of VASTU:
- Elegant VASTU Friendly BEDROOMS
- VASTU Tips To Make Your DIWALI Prosperous
- Vastu Tips for your KITCHEN
- Vastu Tips to Enliven your LIVING ROOM
Meetu Sehgal, Life Coach, Trainer, Holistic Healer and Tarot Reader is Masters is Psychology and MBA graduate from Delhi University. She is trained in many healing modalities and also actively writes for e-magazines, magazines and newspapers like Dainik Bhaskar, Future Samachar, Research Journal of Astrology etc. Since the last 7 years she has been passionately working with individuals helping them resolve health, wealth and relationship challenges.